Sunday 6 May 2018

Testing testing

If you're a seamstress/sewist sat with your fingers in your ears and a rather fetching eye mask on you may not have noticed a trend for dungarees; whether it's Tilly and the Buttons' Cleo, Closet Case Files' Jenny or By Gum by Golly's self drafted pair.

Personally they're not something I had ever considered for myself thinking they'd look a bit childish on me. It's funny really considering dungarees were originally work wear but they're something I always associate with children who frankly look adorable in a pair.

Jen at Jennifer Lauren Handmade's take on it is the Pippi pattern which I was lucky to be a tester for. I quite like that she doesn't tell you a large amount about the pattern before you sign up to test them so you get what you're given and see what you can create. It stops my preconceptions and lets me see what I can do.


It ended up that I really liked the pattern. So judgey Humbug should just shut her mouth. I went for the size 20 C cup. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate a pattern with different cup sizes. I hate doing a FBA so have it all right there is fabulous. I love the lines of the streamlined skirt and the pleats with the large pockets. I went for purple needle cord as I happened to have some knocking about. I cursed this decision when turning the straps believe me! You know what makes turning a tube tricky? Friction. You know what needlecord has loads of? Friction!


As it's me there can't be something I didn't make a hash of. With this project it's that I made the hole to put the jeans buttons through much too big so they now pop straight through the fabric. I'm going to reinforce the holes with some off cuts and stitch some buttons on. No one will know....other than the people I insist on pointing the flaws out to. Which is everyone.




Jen had some issues with the fitting of the bib as you can see in the picture below which causes it to gap at the sides. She did actually amend this problem but because I'd already got the pattern pieces cut out I opted to go with the original. It does make my eye twitch to look at it so I'm going to unpick this bodice and re-cut the amended one. Should have just done that in the first place really. Quiet Captain Shoulda, you don't know my learning methods!



So I would recommend if you get the chance to pattern test for Jen (she just closed sign ups for new testers but keep an eye out in future) I would recommend giving it a go. If like me you tend to stick to comfort zones it pushes you to try something new plus she's a safe pair of hands as I haven't seen a duff pattern from her.


Now I'm off to enjoy the unprecedented warm weather for an English bank holiday. Take care xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment