Sunday 25 January 2015

Mother #@**%& Knitting!

I can't knit.

Actually no, let's make this a positive. I can't knit yet.

I've tried, god knows I've tried. Four generations of my family have tried to teach me and still nadda. Not long ago however when cruising through ravelery I thought it was about time to try again. The truth of the matter is... I don't really like how the majority of crochet jumpers/cardigans look on me. There I said it, though I'll probably be chucked out of the crochet guild for that. 

I made this so why can't I knit!?

I'm an intermediate crocheter. I can make really quite complex, and I hope I can say lovely, things with a hook and a ball of yarn. Surely I should be able to knit, surely? What gives me hope is garment sewing. I remember a time not so long past where I rang my sister in tears because I was trying to make a cushion and I. just. couldn't. get. the. seams. straight. We hit on the genius idea of telling people I had been drinking if they commented on my decidedly wonky seams. 


The bumble bee skirt for an ugly bug ball. It was supposed to be a pencil skirt.

I then tried to make a pencil skirt which came out three sizes too small. At the time I thought this was because I'd done it wrong. I realise now that it would be because I selected a pattern based on the size I would wear if I bought a skirt from a shop. Many people who don't sew from patterns would read that and think it sounds eminently sensible. Ha but it's not! This is how pattern companies screw the uninitiated. You have to go by the measurements not the dress size. Of course you do so why bother putting the damn size on then! 


From this  with a few years practice I can now make a man's shirt, an evening dress and fairly technical jumper. If I can learn that I can learn this so I found a basic teaching course and bought some really pretty yarn. I don't usually bother with artisan yarn as it's expensive and I'm cheap but this time I thought it's only a scarf, get something pretty to learn with. I chose this yarn in the 9709 colourway as it's self variegating which means it changes colour along the strand of yarn which I thought with a basic scarf pattern from tincanknits learn to knit range adds interest without me having to do anything fancy. It's also cotton as I can't really stand the feel of wool.


Come on I'm a potty mouthed Cath Kidson, I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment